Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Update to Alfalfa Patch




See the first post here.


It looks like we haven't figured out alfalfa yet. Last time we tried planting in the spring, this time in the summer. Both times we used the appropriate innoculant and watered faithfully - both times the plants sprouted and stalled and died. Bummerific. What IS the correct time for this area? Oh well! This is what the "alfalfa patch" looks like now - we finally got a good crop of weeds before deciding not to water it anymore. I do have about a dozen black bean plants that are producing pretty well, for my personal project, so at least one garden thing worked for me this year. Now that fall is almost here, I am going to get ready and try to plant carrots, peas, potatoes, peas, wheat, oh, and peas! Ahem. We call fresh peas "garden candy" around here and we can never get enough. Young peas are soo sweet!

Anyway, I don't think alfalfa would do well planted in the fall or winter, so for now I am going to focus on growing people food and ideas for helping the native grasses over the winter.



L

2 comments:

Dressage Nomad said...

Wow, I can't believe you got chicken pox twice!!! I thought that you could only get it once. And I'm no help with the alfalfa, my parents planted some when we moved and it grew great, faded out for 10 years and now it's back for some reason.

I would love to have a vegetable garden, but I didn't think it'd be prudent to start one because we're moving in the spring. I do have a blueberry tomato plant that I *love*, teeny little tomatoes that are super juicy and yummy.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by my blog!

Anonymous said...

I had to pass the Arte Y Pico blog award onto you. You can come on by and pick it up whenever.