Sunday, February 3, 2008

Mira's Eye Update: 7

Sorry it took me so long to update this. What we decided on is this. We're going to treat it aggressively with the antifungals and antibiotics for 2 weeks. That probably is not enough time to make much of a difference, but it's the best I can do. After that, I will continue treating the eye with gentocin and any herbs the Chinese Medicine practitioner feels might help. We will do that for several weeks, unless the eye worsens, and at the end of that time we will re-evaluate and see if there is any progress at all. If it doesn't work, we'll have to enucleate. I am hoping and praying it won't come to that, because I will mourn it. I've heard that horses often don't really seem to care, and I figure she would be the same, but she has such gorgeous eyes, and I would really hate to have to do that. Anyway, we'll see. I am going to continue to make as much of an effort as possible to build her immune system to help fight the infection a little.

We had more rain and snow last night, but now for the next 2 weeks it is supposed to be sunny and clear. I sure hope so!

I hope you are all having a good weekend.


L

3 comments:

On The Bit said...

Sounds like a good plan to me! As for horses not careing...we have two at my trainers barn that have lost an eye. One lost both. And that was years ago. I will keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't come to that though.

"DJ" said...

I'm praying for Mira and you!

Rising Rainbow said...

I hope this works out for you.